21 November 2006

rocking on the ocean, sucking up the sea

Geography has never been my strong point. That’s why its far safer that this stays a virtual journey. My next destination is apparently Samoa. If I had to take a guess I’d head for Africa. I’d be wrong. I’d be lost.

The map shows me the way to go. Vaguely. I’m heading for some tiny dots, near other slightly larger dots. Hopefully things will magnify when I get there. Where I am promised storms and coconuts, volcanoes and bananas. Friendly people with a fierce sense of tradition.

And when my guide teases me with these words -

“ ‘I’ does not exist, I am not. My self belongs not to me because ‘I’ is always ‘we’. ”

I cannot resist. I depart across the waters - my philosopher self already halfway there.

the circumnavigator

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a brilliant quote.

although i can't help but rebel against the concept that i am part of someone else's 'we', rather than being purely 'me'.

but i'm curious nevertheless to see where this author will take such a philosophy.

looking forward to your write-up...

10:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home