23 August 2006

watch the world dissolve

As a small but interesting aside, The Island Walkers reminded me of reading D H Lawrence - 100 years on and with a large landscape. A story of mills and unions and strikes and redundancies. Men and women and love and loss.


The novel occassionally referred to England. One part concurred with my view when a character, originally from England, reminisces -

‘glimpses of the distant Channel, that gray, strangely heartening infinity’

And yet at another point I found the viewpoint strangely stereotyped and dated -

‘He had the English talent, so welcome to her, of making an instant party, a little conspiracy of merriment.’

As I travel further away from my island I shall keep an eye as to how my home is viewed from afar.

the circumnavigator

2 Comments:

Blogger ? said...

Hello,
nice blog, interesting post and thanks for posting. I'll be back to visit. Hope to see you on mine.
With best wishes

11:50 am  
Blogger fjl said...

This really is a lovely idea jem, to be a mental traveller. I think this blog's beauty will increase as time goes on. Keep going.

8:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home