21 April 2006

the sky of death was a sky of grey clouds

I am in the capital city, Amsterdam. Nooteboom’s Amsterdam is dirty. It is stifling at times and I feel suffocated by the heat. The characters in Rituals drink crème de menthe. I can smell the sickly, syrupy peppermint in the air.

Just as Inni, the main character, fumbles his way through life, I try to find my way through this Dutch city. At times I feel as though I am being rushed through Amsterdam with no time to waste.

Today I have stopped to linger longer at the Prinsengracht Bridge. A bridge over one of the main canals in Amsterdam. Where cyclists ride and lovers walk.


the navigator

1 Comments:

Blogger fjl said...

A really lovely idea, underlining the importance of being a mental traveller at all times x beautifully templated.

12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home